Tense is used to indicate time. By using different tenses, we can
set the time of the particular situation we want to describe and
also show the continuity of the action or state. If we do not want
our readers to misunderstand the time of actions and events in our
writing, we should try to use verb tenses correctly. It is true
that high school graduates have already learned a great deal about
English verb tenses, but when it comes to writing in English, many
students tend to make mistakes. So if you want to write with correct
verb tenses, more practice is necessary.
1. Fill in the blanks with the proper forms
of the verbs provided.
1. Because of television, the Internet and their own travels, the
students see the world as a much smaller place than their parents
2. The secretary will get everything ready before the manager
3. The students
(read) the textbooks in the classroom when the teacher came in.
4. Mr. Wang
(make) great progress in his study of English since he came to college.
5. They hope the young boy
(take care of) the dog while they are away from home.
6. I still remember laughing at my professor when he said it
(be) hard for me to come back if I dropped out from college.
7. His parents
(live) on the farm near the river for the past 20 years.
8. I want every day of my life to be meaningful and I think that what
(tell) me yesterday will help to make it that way.
9. The sun
(rise) by the time I got home from the party.
10. By the time I graduate from college I
(learn) English for 10 years.
1. did 2. comes 3. were reading 4. has made
5. will take care of 6. would be 7. have lived 8. told 9. had risen
10. will have learned
2. Correct the wrongly used irregular
verb forms in the following sentences.
1. He had a terrible journey this morning. He was hold up in the
traffic for an hour.
2. I couldn't believe that the first paper I writed in college was
3. All my classmates feeled very excited when our team won the basketball
4. When I started to learn English, I finded it very difficult to
remember the new words.
5. Mobile phones have becomed very popular in our country during
the past 3 years.
6. The sports teacher has finally chose 3 students for the summer
7. He has just spend a lot of money on the pop song records for
8. This is the first time I have heared of his problem in his job.
9. The girl leaved the office and came over to speak to us.
10. Several days ago friends and I enjoyed our holiday on the beach
and swimmed in the sea.
1. hold →held 2. writed → wrote 3. feeled
→ felt 4. finded → found 5. becomed → become 6. chose → chosen 7.
spend → spent 8. heared → heard 9. leaved → left 10. swimmed → swam
3. Fill in the blanks with the proper
forms of the verbs provided.
Music is part of most people's lives. Good music can bring happiness
to many people. Some people 1
(like) classical music, but for most young people, pop music 2
(seem) more attractive. Young people are interested in pop music
because it comes from real life and 3
(sound) cool. Most young people like to sing pop songs or listen
to them. They find that the tones of pop songs are easy to follow
and the words are easy to remember. So when a pop singer 4
(sing) a lovely pop song, some young people 5
(sing) it together loudly. Besides, many pop songs can tell us about
love and romantic dreams. I have a friend who 6
(feel) very sad when he 7
(lose) his love.But a month later, I found that he 8
(become) much better.He told me it was pop songs that cheered him
up. I like pop music because it can express the personal feelings
of young people in the modem world. While listening to pop music,
I can get strength. Some pop music, especially rock music , will
help me forget my troubles. WhenI 9
(fail) in something or get depressed,I 10
(listen) to rock music. and soon I will feel much better.
1. like 2. seems 3. sounds 4. is singing/
sings 5. will sing 6. felt 7. lost 8. had become 9. fail 10. will
listen / listen