Part II Vocabulary and Structure
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences
in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and
D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. (15 points)
Directions: Choose the definition from Column B that best matches the word in
||________ 21. conquer
||________ 22. ignore
||________ 23. reluctantly
||C.give and receive
||________ 24. scare
||D.take no notice of
||________ 25. exchange
Directions: Fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the words given in the
- In the United States, all children between the ages of 5 and 18 must ________
- The meeting began ________ (punctuality) at nine o¨clock.
- She felt quite ________ (loose) after taking a trip to the seaside.
- Negative student ________ (respond) to online learning are also due to
time factors, particularly for students with part-time or full-time jobs.
- It¨s Friday again. What about going to the pub to have some ________ (entertain)?
Directions: For each of the underlined words or phrases, 4 choices are given.
Choose the one that best explains or defines the underlined part.
- The computer is likely to overheat if used for too long.
A) tends B) intends C) pretends D) contents
- As they approached the village, they saw a lot of new houses being built.
A) arrived B) returned C) reached D) came near
- Clothes and blankets have been distributed among the refugees.
A) handed in B) turned out C) got up D) given out
- The bank is said to have been robbed in broad daylight. The police are
now investigating the case.
A) looking up B) looking into C) looking over D) looking
- For the good of both parties, the discussion soon struck the real issue.
A) difficulty B) question C) problem D) consideration
- Why are some cancers cured by chemotherapy alone, whereas others are unaffected
A) while B) where C) when D) however
- We were almost asleep when Chris finally showed up.
A) showed off B) presented C) vanished D) appeared
- It¨s Friday again. What about going to the pub to have some entertainment?
A) programs B) pleasure C) happiness D) joy
- Only ten minutes remained before the train left, but we managed to arrive
there in time.
A) dealt with it B) got around it C) made up for it
D) made it
- The course in World Civilization History will be offered online to the
A) given B) showed C) sent D) composed
Directions: Each of the following sentences is incomplete. Choose the one from
the 4 choices that best completes the sentence.
- I¨ve tried to ________ quarreling with him, but his behavior always makes
A) ignore B) avoid C) consider D) cancel
- Nick is very _________about using computers, though he is only a freshman.
A) good B) dependent C) confident D) interested
- Pessimism is often regarded as a kind of psychological disease, and can
have _________ effects on ones physical health.
A) minor B) questionable C) positive D) negative
- It¨s a long trip, ________ road you take.
A) whatever B) whenever C) whoever D) whichever
- The room was so noisy that it was several hours ____ I got to sleep again.
A) since B) after C) unless D) before
- Gone are the days ____ my heart was young and gay.
A) which B) that C) when D) on which
- Whatever the condition is, my camera can be _____________ to take pictures.
A) accepted B) adjusted C) received D) remedied
- Although George has many personal problems, he _________ present every
day since the first day of class.
A) has been B) had been C) is D) was
- Each individual has his own right to _______ his own career and freedom.
A) find B) pursue C) consider D) register
- You shouldn¨t have called me while I was giving my class. You ________
me after my class.
A) might approach B) would have approached C) must approach
D) could have approached
- They aimed to ________ a new theory of evolution based on the latest findings
in archaeology (深硬僥).
A) define B) produce C) construct D) instruct
- She should spend __________ one hour practicing spoken English every day
if she hopes to pass the College Spoken English Test in November.
A) at last B) at best C) at most D) at least
- A ______word is often on a higher pitch and it has a longer duration, i.e.
the vowel appears to be longer.
A) pressed B) crucial C) stressed D) impressed
- Some people don¨t think that online articles are ______ sources of information.
A) available B) prevalent C) dependent D) reliable
- Many college students like to chat on the Internet. They think talking
with friends on the Internet is _______ casual and exciting _______ face to
A) not only ... but also B) less ... than
C) more ... than D) neither ... nor
- It has been such a long time ____ I saw him that I¨m not sure if I will
A) that B) before C) since D) as
- What a lovely night scene! The lights____________ brightly.
A) shine B) are shining C) shined D) were shining
- The students __________ to the teacher that they had too much school work
to do, and as a result, they had little time to relax.
A) complained B) charged C) insisted D) maintained
- Due to a drastic change in the world situation, the gas price _______ from
10 to 30 dollars a barrel.
A) changes B) sells C) charges D) ranges
- 60. Whatever your opinion is, it is welcome. Your feedback will _______
the improvement of our courses.
A) contribute on B) contribute to C) contribute in D)
Directions: Each of the following sentences has 4 underlined parts marked A,
B, C and D. You are to identify the part that needs correction.
- He spent the (A) whole night (B) writing
the essay, (C) hardly (D) to
stop for a little while.
- He tried every (A) means to (B) make
out (C) that is written (D) on
- (A) Neither your friend (B) nor
your advisor (C) have agreed (D) to
- I usually (A) wear a coat but (B) I
don¨t wear one today (C) as it (D) isn¨t
- High school students¨ responses (A) to
online learning were generally positive, (B) while
communit college students (C) enrolled in
traditional classes expressed a desire for a (D) living
- It was (A) such a cold day (B) so
she (C) decided to stay (D) indoors .
A B C D
- (A) As long as the students are (B) concerned ,
they (C) should have enough time (D) for
both study and play.
- The train was (A) due to (B) sailing
at nine o¨clock in the morning, (C) but
(D) was delayed by the fog.
- (A) I wish
(B) I had known that Jane (C) had
been ill. I (D) would have gone
to see her. A B C D
- The distance learner may have problems (A) separate
(B) work from home life, (C) experiencing
tensions. (D) in relations with their